Lead Data Scientist
Job ID R27680
Date posted 06/23/2022
Change Healthcare is on a mission to transform the healthcare system through the power of data. Our investments extend the reach of emerging technologies across healthcare, supporting a healthy ecosystem of competitive applications that help payers and providers improve operations and enhance the patient experience.
- Level: Experienced
- Travel: Local
What makes a successful Data Scientist at Change Healthcare?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for growth at Change Healthcare. Below is an example of the trajectory you could have in your career as a Data Scientist.
Career Path Steps
- Step 1: Data Scientist
- Step 2: Senior Data Scientist
- Step 3: Principal Data Scientist'
Our Total Rewards
Our Total Rewards strategy consists of a portfolio of offerings: compensation, recognition, well-being and benefits, that are aligned with our talent management strategy, enabling us to attract, develop, engage, reward, and retain employees. Our engaged workforce enables a high performing culture.
Paid Time Off
Volunteer Days and
Lead Data Scientist
Change Healthcare (NASDAQ: CHNG) is a catalyst for your value-based healthcare system. We are a healthcare technology company that offers software, analytics, network solutions, and technology-enabled services to help create a stronger, more collaborative healthcare system. We help deliver measurable value not only at the point of care, but also before, after, and in between care episodes.
Change Healthcare occupies a uniquely interconnected position at the center of healthcare, serving providers, payers, and consumers. As independent healthcare IT company, we work with multiple platforms to address diverse needs. Our provider solutions help providers increase patient access, ensure clinically appropriate care, and manage claims and payments across the revenue cycle. Our payer solutions address payment accuracy, consumer and member engagement, network management, and the transition to value-based payment. Our consumer solutions provide digital tools to help patients access their personal information and make choices based on quality, cost, and convenience.
With over 14,000 team members, our culture is guided by our core values which are woven into the fabric of every aspect of our company; Pursue Purpose, Champion Innovation, Earn Trust, Be Agile, and Include All.
The Data Scientist will be responsible for supporting Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science solutions for Change Healthcare, reporting to an AI Data Science leader under the Chief AI Officer. We’re looking for data scientists with a passion for artificial intelligence to help drive a new generation of data and machine learning-enabled services and products to impact healthcare. You will enjoy working with a highly talented and diverse team of data scientists specializing in deep learning, active learning, and classical machine learning, one of the richest data sets in US healthcare, nearly limitless cloud compute resources including Spark clusters and GPUs, and the ability to see your insights turned into real products. The ideal candidate will have a background in machine learning, have experience working with large data sets, and have some experience in building and deploying data-driven innovative AI solutions. You are focused on results, a self-starter, able to put the customer first, and team first, and have demonstrated success in using data science to develop and deploy AI solutions with a focus on customer impact. You also are able to rapidly prototype new ideas and methods to deliver quality code that is testable and concise.
- Use AI/ML technologies to innovate current Chang Healthcare operations. The tasks of innovation include, but are not limited to Smart revenue management, Intelligent payment platform, medical chart reading, code reading with noisy and incomplete OCR documents, Conversational AI to facilitate customer services, and other healthcare-related use cases.
- Work closely with business and operations to understand the business requirements. To be able to convert ambiguous requirements to mathematical AI models that can be trained and deployed to solve business problems.
- Have strong implementation skills for the proposed solutions and work closely with the engineering team to create product pipelines that are scalable and flexible.
- Willing to work in an agile and fast-moving working environment.
- Passion for learning and innovating at new AI technologies that can facilitate future projects
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics, bioinformatics, or other hardcore technical fields with profound mathematical training. Proficient in translating unstructured business problems into an abstract mathematical framework
- 5+ years of experience after graduation from Ph.D.
- Fluency in one of the scripting languages, such as Python, Scalar, PySpark, and others.
- Experience with Spark, MapReduce, and other big data processing tools is preferred.
- Familiar with both SQL and NoSQL databases, ability to write efficient queries in SQL.
- Expertise in NLU/NLP, Conversational AI.
- Expertise with one of the Deep Learning platforms, such as TensorFlow, Pytorch, and Keras.
- Expertise in Knowledge Graph and personalization.
- Ability to initiate and drive projects to completion with minimal guidance
- The ability to communicate the results of analyses in a clear and effective manner
- Familiar with AWS and its components, such as EMR, S3, EC2, SageMaker. or customer build AI Platform.
- Ph.D. with experience in medical coding, medical chart reading, entity detection, and other reading comprehension using AI/NLP technologies
- Ph.D. with experience in big data processing in the areas of revenue cycle management including, but not limited to, risk management, payment accuracy, smart reconciliation, etc...
- Ph.D. with experience in conversational AI technologies, such as AI model for intent detection, NER, dialog management, and other related components
- Experience with medical ontologies, and medical Knowledge Graph that links multiple entities, such as patients, providers, and payers. Possess the ability to run large scale inference on top of KG and generate business values
- Experience with medical image processing, diagnosis based on images and narratives using AI technologies
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to describe the logic and implications of a complex model to all types of partners (product managers, engineers, designers, senior executives)
- This is a tech lead role, which means, this role is able to mentor junior data scientists in the team; is able to lead projects from end to end, and conduct communication with business owners in a non-tech environment
Join our team today where we are creating a better coordinated, increasingly collaborative, and more efficient healthcare system!
COVID Vaccination Requirements
We remain committed to doing our part to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our team members and our communities. As such, we require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment and we may require periodic testing for certain roles. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. Change Healthcare adheres to COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com with "Applicant requesting reasonable accommodation" as the subject. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
California (US) Residents: By submitting an application to Change Healthcare for consideration of any employment opportunity, you acknowledge that you have read and understood Change Healthcare’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants Regarding the Collection of Personal Information.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Join Our Talent Community
Receive job alerts and stay up to date with ways that Change Healthcare is transforming the healthcare industry, one innovation at a time.