Site Reliability Engineer
Change Healthcare occupies a uniquely interconnected position at the center of healthcare. We believe it is our responsibility to test, adopt, and refine new technologies to help create a more efficient healthcare system. As healthcare technology leaders, we are passionate about building enterprise-class solutions using the latest cloud technologies and current development best practices. We have a bias for action with a broad mandate to innovate and provide world class healthcare solutions.
- Level: Experienced
- Travel: Local
What makes a successful Software Engineer at Change Healthcare?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
- Quick learner
“I love working at Change Healthcare! I get to work with incredibly intelligent people who always share their knowledge and help me improve my skills, I work with cutting edge cloud technology, and I get the satisfaction of knowing that the work I am doing is directly helping to improve the US healthcare system. Change Healthcare is a fantastic company that encourages personal growth and has provided plenty of opportunities to advance my career.” Derek Kruger
“When I think about working at Change Healthcare, I think about some of the most fruitful experiences of my career. At every turn, the company has encouraged and pursued innovation all while bolstering up and supporting me as an individual contributor. There a ton of hurdles in the healthcare industry and I have full confidence that Change Healthcare will be one of those companies who can solve them. I am glad to be a part of this journey.” Jacob Smith
Cloud Software Engineer
“I savor every day working at Change Healthcare. With a strong cloud-first mantra and push for true DevOps from senior leadership, the work and processes are under constant pressure to improve. Not only do I work with many dedicated, interesting, and smart people, I know my work helps improve healthcare and medical processes for the entire country.” Leeland Artra
“I am very thankful for the growth and development opportunities given to me every day at Change Healthcare. Knowing that the meaningful work I am a part of changes lives encourages me daily. The culture to develop and nurture excellence continues to inspire me to become a better engineer and professional.” Rachael Babcock
Cloud Software Engineer
“What I love most about my job is that I have the opportunity to work on a variety of technical problems that push me to improve my technical and problem solving skills. Being part of the data engineering team, I always have freedom to work on cutting edge technologies alongside a motivated team.” Sandeep Datla
Software Engineer IV
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for growth at Change Healthcare. Below is an example of the trajectory you could have in your careers as a Software Engineer.
Our Total Rewards
Our Total Rewards strategy consists of a portfolio of offerings: compensation, recognition, well-being and benefits, that are aligned with our talent management strategy, enabling us to attract, develop, engage, reward, and retain employees. Our engaged workforce enables a high performing culture.
Paying for Performance
Rewards and Recognition
Paid Time Off
Volunteer Days and
Madison, Wisconsin - Additional locations
**Position may require travel to Madison, Wisconsin
Site Reliability Engineer
Overview of Position
Operates company's complex high traffic, business critical internet site communications and/or network-based (cloud) product systems. Plans, designs and implements scalable local and wide-area network solutions between multiple platforms and protocols (including IP and VOIP). Responsible for system performance; supports/troubleshoots network issues and coordinates installation of such items as routers and switches with appropriate vendors. Develops tools to automate the deployment, administration and monitoring of a network system. Provides training and assists with proposal writing. Conducts project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons and works on project implementation. Works with development teams to enhance and improve system operability. Conducts tests of network redundancy, resilience and failover of network elements to ensure up-time standards are fully achieved. May be required to provide on-call service coverage with other department employees.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Application Performance and Stability: proactively monitor and ensure the health of customer-facing applications, ensuring they are operationally sound and uphold the SLAs of our products and services.
- Automation and Tooling: develop tooling, playbooks and/or scripts that can be used for operationalizing manual tasks, configuring services and systems, or reacting in responses to system events.
- Service Reliability: facilitate incident management and contribute to technical troubleshooting of issues to determine root causes, finding opportunities to improve and iterate on our application’s architecture and system infrastructure.
- Communication and Collaboration: support and enable product-development teams to meet their operational and reliability needs.
- Managing Deployments: perform deployment activities to release development team’s software to production and other customer-facing environments.
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 5 years of Site Reliability Engineering or similar experience (Operations, DevOps, or Cloud Infrastructure) in a modernized software development environment
- Deep technical understanding of internet protocols and security, specifically how they fit into secure and compliant system architectures (HTTP/HTTPS, TCP, TLS, SSL, VPNs)
- Strong programming and scripting skills (i.e. Powershell, Bash)
- Ability to react quickly to issues as they arise and determine points-of-failure and troubleshoot multi-tiered web-service and web-application architectures for root-cause analyses
- Experience with modern infrastructure-as-code and configuration-management tools (i.e. Terraform, Ansible, Chef, Puppet)
- Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Deep understanding of service-oriented architectures and how they are maintained, deployed and continually monitored for stability and performance
- Experience with configuring and maintaining system and application monitoring tools to provide overall system visibility and observability (i.e. Grafana, Prometheus, Datadog, Dynatrace)
- Experience working on systems and architectures that are deployed to cloud-native environments (AWS, Azure, GCP). Cloud-native certifications are preferred.
- Ability to scale and manage systems and services that are used by medium-/large-sized engineering teams (i.e. Jenkins, Gitlab CI, etc.)
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands
Join our team today where we are creating a better coordinated, increasingly collaborative, and more efficient healthcare system!
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com with "Applicant requesting reasonable accommodation" as the subject. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
California (US) Residents: By submitting an application to Change Healthcare for consideration of any employment opportunity, you acknowledge that you have read and understood Change Healthcare’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants Regarding the Collection of Personal Information.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Don't see the role you're looking for or not ready to apply yet?
Sign-up to get the latest opportunities at Change Healthcare.