Lead Software Engineer
Change Healthcare occupies a uniquely interconnected position at the center of healthcare. We believe it is our responsibility to test, adopt, and refine new technologies to help create a more efficient healthcare system. As healthcare technology leaders, we are passionate about building enterprise-class solutions using the latest cloud technologies and current development best practices. We have a bias for action with a broad mandate to innovate and provide world class healthcare solutions.
- Level: Experienced
- Travel: Local
What makes a successful Software Engineer at Change Healthcare?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
- Quick learner
“I love working at Change Healthcare! I get to work with incredibly intelligent people who always share their knowledge and help me improve my skills, I work with cutting edge cloud technology, and I get the satisfaction of knowing that the work I am doing is directly helping to improve the US healthcare system. Change Healthcare is a fantastic company that encourages personal growth and has provided plenty of opportunities to advance my career.” Derek Kruger
“When I think about working at Change Healthcare, I think about some of the most fruitful experiences of my career. At every turn, the company has encouraged and pursued innovation all while bolstering up and supporting me as an individual contributor. There a ton of hurdles in the healthcare industry and I have full confidence that Change Healthcare will be one of those companies who can solve them. I am glad to be a part of this journey.” Jacob Smith
Cloud Software Engineer
“I savor every day working at Change Healthcare. With a strong cloud-first mantra and push for true DevOps from senior leadership, the work and processes are under constant pressure to improve. Not only do I work with many dedicated, interesting, and smart people, I know my work helps improve healthcare and medical processes for the entire country.” Leeland Artra
“I am very thankful for the growth and development opportunities given to me every day at Change Healthcare. Knowing that the meaningful work I am a part of changes lives encourages me daily. The culture to develop and nurture excellence continues to inspire me to become a better engineer and professional.” Rachael Babcock
Cloud Software Engineer
“What I love most about my job is that I have the opportunity to work on a variety of technical problems that push me to improve my technical and problem solving skills. Being part of the data engineering team, I always have freedom to work on cutting edge technologies alongside a motivated team.” Sandeep Datla
Software Engineer IV
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for growth at Change Healthcare. Below is an example of the trajectory you could have in your careers as a Software Engineer.
Our Total Rewards
Our Total Rewards strategy consists of a portfolio of offerings: compensation, recognition, well-being and benefits, that are aligned with our talent management strategy, enabling us to attract, develop, engage, reward, and retain employees. Our engaged workforce enables a high performing culture.
Paying for Performance
Rewards and Recognition
Paid Time Off
Volunteer Days and
Emeryville, California - Additional locations
Transforming the future of healthcare isn’t something we take lightly. It takes teams of the best and the brightest, working together to make an impact.
As one of the largest healthcare technology companies in the U.S., we are a catalyst to accelerate the journey toward improved lives and healthier communities.
Here at Change Healthcare, we’re using our influence to drive positive changes across the industry, and we want motivated and passionate people like you to help us continue to bring new and innovative ideas to life.
If you’re ready to embrace your passion and do what you love with a company that’s committed to supporting your future, then you belong at Change Healthcare.
Pursue purpose. Champion innovation. Earn trust. Be agile. Include all.
Empower Your Future. Make a Difference.
Overview of Position
The Senior Staff Software Engineer will be building the next generation of a growing healthcare platform. The Staff Software Engineer will be a critical member of a team focused on the success of building out our next generation payments platform within Change Healthcare (CHC).
We’re looking for you if you’re comfortable working in a collaborative environment where everyone takes responsibility for success in every aspect of our product’s delivery. We build incrementally, deliver by validation, and enable through a culture of DevOps.
You’ll have a passion for the highest quality results, continuously looking to improve outcomes by enhancing processes and highlighting opportunities. You’ll work in collaboration with limited supervision, adopting Scrum and Agile process to prioritize, pick up, and complete work. You’ll share ideas and team up to deliver new and creative ways to solve problems.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Plan, design, develop and test software systems or applications for software enhancements and new products including cloud-based (AWS) and/or internet-related tools
- Decompose success criteria and architectural/design requirements into well-defined, executable stories
- Build defined epics and stories into releasable features and functions
- Deliver well-documented code, features, and functions with built-in unit tests
- Provide on-going maintenance, support, and enhancement in existing systems and platforms
- Provide continuous feedback, identify process improvement opportunities, openly communicate and collaborate to enhance team capabilities
- Investigate, identify, and resolve defects and performance problems
- Utilize skills to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways
- Exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results
- Creates formal networks involving coordination among groups.
- Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments.
- Proactively work with and oversee work of junior engineers to ensure individual components being worked on as part of a larger system will work together properly
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 2+ years' experience back-end development in Node JS
- Experience in Scrum / Agile development methodologies
- Cloud experience, preferably AWS
- Experience designing and building event-driven architectures, message-based architectures
- Experience with test-driven development, building test plans, unit tests, and automated testing frameworks
- Experience building reusable minimal-function components, microservices, and libraries
- Ability to solve problems under time constraints
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including presentation skills
- Strong conflict resolution and negotiation skills
- Works well in a matrixed cross-functional environment and a builder of professional relationships
- Ability to be creative with a growth mindset in problem-solving
- Willingness to learn and pivot quickly on technologies and design approaches
- Writes clear, concise, and reusable code
- Experience writing MySQL queries and interfacing with databases through code
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Experience with AWS ecosystem (I.e., Lambda functions, S3, step functions, ELB)
- Experience with generating and working with PDF files at a low level
- Familiarity with the image cash letter (ICL) file format
- General experience in the health care industry
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands
Join our team today where we are creating a better coordinated, increasingly collaborative, and more efficient healthcare system!
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com with "Applicant requesting reasonable accommodation" as the subject. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Don't see the role you're looking for or not ready to apply yet?
Sign-up to get the latest opportunities at Change Healthcare.