Staff Software Engineer
Job ID R27794
Date posted 07/01/2022
Change Healthcare occupies a uniquely interconnected position at the center of healthcare. We believe it is our responsibility to test, adopt, and refine new technologies to help create a more efficient healthcare system. As healthcare technology leaders, we are passionate about building enterprise-class solutions using the latest cloud technologies and current development best practices. We have a bias for action with a broad mandate to innovate and provide world class healthcare solutions.
- Level: Experienced
- Travel: Local
What makes a successful Software Engineer at Change Healthcare?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
- Quick learner
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for growth at Change Healthcare. Below is an example of the trajectory you could have in your careers as a Software Engineer.
Career Path Steps
- Step 1: Engineer 1
- Step 2: Engineer 2
- Step 3: Senior Engineer
- Step 4: Staff Engineer
- Step 5: Principal Engineer
Our Total Rewards
Our Total Rewards strategy consists of a portfolio of offerings: compensation, recognition, well-being and benefits, that are aligned with our talent management strategy, enabling us to attract, develop, engage, reward, and retain employees. Our engaged workforce enables a high performing culture.
Paid Time Off
Volunteer Days and
Staff Software Engineer
Change Healthcare is a leading healthcare technology company with a mission to inspire a better healthcare system. We deliver innovative solutions to patients, hospitals, and insurance companies to improve clinical decision making, simplify financial processes, and enable better patient experiences to improve lives and support healthier communities.
Staff Software Engineer
Overview of Position
Change Healthcare (CHC) is looking for a Staff Software Engineer in the payments organization to be a technical leader for our new React and Node based NextGen Payments. Change Healthcare engineering team is architecting a cloud-based payments platform in emerging technologies. As a Staff engineer, you will contribute in a multitude of way - own large sections of our codebase, drive strategic technical improvements, create sweeping improvements in stability, performance and scalability across business-critical systems. As an experienced tech leader, you will consistently be able to reduce product complexity, eliminate single point of failures, simplify codebase and processes to get more done with less work.
This role would require you to work at a cross-engineering scope and mentor the engineering team to develop, build, and scale the payments platform at large volumes. As a broader team impact, you will anticipate technical issues, come up with larger ideas particularly on reliability and scalability, and advocate them convincingly.
We’re looking for you if you’re comfortable working in a collaborative environment where everyone takes responsibility for success in every aspect of our product’s delivery. We build incrementally, deliver by validation, and enable through a culture of DevOps.
You’ll have a passion for the highest quality results, continuously looking to improve outcomes by enhancing processes and highlighting opportunities. You’ll work in collaboration with limited supervision, adopting Scrum and Agile process to prioritize, pick up, and complete work. You’ll share ideas and team up to deliver new and creative ways to solve problems.
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Plan, design, develop, test, deploy, improve payment services and new microservice based products.
- Decompose success criteria and architectural/design requirements into well-defined, executable stories.
- Build defined epics and stories into releasable features and functions.
- Deliver well-documented code, features, and functions with built-in unit tests.
- Mentor and train tech leads on design techniques and frameworks.
- Provide continuous feedback, identify process improvement opportunities, openly communicate and collaborate to enhance team capabilities.
- Investigate, identify, and resolve defects and performance problems.
- Utilize skills to contribute to development of company objectives and principles and to achieve goals in creative and effective ways.
- Exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Lead design of major software components, features. Acts independently to determine methods and procedures on new or special assignments.
- Proactively work with and oversee work of junior engineers to ensure individual components being worked on as part of a larger system will work together properly.
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 5 years of experience in back-end development in Node JS.
- Experience designing and developing distributed systems or SOA (Service oriented architecture) based apps.
- Cloud experience is a must, preferably AWS.
- Experience designing and building event-driven and message-based services.
- Experience with test-driven development (TDD), building test plans, unit tests, and automated testing frameworks.
- Relevant experience building reusable minimal-function components, microservices, and libraries.
- Ability to solve problems under time constraints.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including presentation skills.
- Works well in a matrixed cross-functional environment and a builder of professional relationships.
- Ability to be creative with a growth mindset in problem-solving.
- Willingness to learn and pivot quickly on technologies and design approaches.
- Experience writing MySQL queries and interfacing with databases through code.
What other skills/experience would be helpful to have?
- Demonstrated expertise working with AWS ecosystem (I.e., Lambda functions, S3, step functions, ALB, RDS).
- Hands on technical leadership experience leading Tech leads and driving technical direction.
- Self-motivated and strong interest in learning new programming languages and frameworks.
- Master’s degree or PHD in Computer Science or Engineering.
- General experience in the health care payment industry.
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands.
Be able to participate in virtual meetings that will require a flexible schedule to at times participate in different time zones for team. Meetings will be in Pacific Time Zone but occasionally put time aside for communication to employees in APAC.
Diversity and Inclusion:
•At Change Healthcare, we include all. We celebrate diversity and inclusivity, respect each other and value our unique experiences. By being our authentic selves, we bring different perspectives into our work and relationships.
•Business Resource Groups (BRGs) play a central role in advancing diversity and inclusion at Change Healthcare. They deepen our understanding of different cultures, people, and experiences, and help foster an inclusive workplace. Change offers eight (8) BRGs. Learn more at https://careers.changehealthcare.com/diversity
Feeling Inspired? Ready to #MakeAChange? Apply today!
COVID Vaccination Requirements
We remain committed to doing our part to ensure the health, safety, and well-being of our team members and our communities. As such, we require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment and, when job-related and consistent with business necessity, we may require periodic testing for certain roles. Some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. Change Healthcare adheres to COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com with "Applicant requesting reasonable accommodation" as the subject. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
California (US) Residents: By submitting an application to Change Healthcare for consideration of any employment opportunity, you acknowledge that you have read and understood Change Healthcare’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants Regarding the Collection of Personal Information.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Join Our Talent Community
Receive job alerts and stay up to date with ways that Change Healthcare is transforming the healthcare industry, one innovation at a time.