Visit our career site, create a profile, and submit your application. Make sure to observe the job description and see how your background can align to the requirements of the role.
Director, Ambulatory Coding
Job ID R30113
Date posted 11/14/2022
Applicant Data Privacy And Protection Notice
Opportunities at Change Healthcare, part of the Optum family of businesses. We are transforming the health care system through innovative technology and analytics. Find opportunities to make a difference in a variety of career areas as we all play a role in accelerating health care transformation. Help us deliver cutting-edge solutions for patients, hospitals and insurance companies, resulting in healthier communities. Use your talents to improve the health outcomes of millions of people and discover the meaning behind: Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Director, Ambulatory Coding
Change Healthcare is a leading healthcare technology company with a mission to inspire a better healthcare system. We deliver innovative solutions to patients, medical practices, and insurance companies to improve clinical decision making, simplify financial processes, and enable better patient experiences to improve lives and support healthier communities.
- Fully Remote - U.S.
The Director, Ambulatory Coding has P&L and business management responsibility for ambulatory (physician/professional fee) coding with large multi-specialty teams (on/offshore) comprised of non-clinical and clinical staff.
This position is responsible for providing strategic, financial, and operational coding leadership to include:
• Ensuring accurate and compliant coding for ambulatory (outpatient/physician/professional fee) organizations or medical practices
• Designing, implementing, and documenting coding policies and processes
• Identifying and addressing client needs while developing and sustaining deep client relationships.
• Recommending, championing, and executing strategies designed to positively impact key drivers to ensure P&L and market share goals are achieved
• Evaluating and identifying new solution opportunities to improve the market competitiveness while closely working and collaborating with other teams, senior management, and stakeholders to manage expectations and keep the service line moving forward
- Provide oversight and ongoing coaching, development, and leadership to a ambulatory/professional fee/physician coding team (on/offshore) and ensure resource planning effectiveness, execution, and outcomes.
- Drive organizational efficiencies and alignment while developing scalable and sustainable infrastructure and technology solutions.
- Work across a matrixed organization to shepherd the mindset and cultural shift required to create a more streamlined process, generate additional revenue opportunities, improve the customer experience, and enhance the infrastructure by use of use of new and existing technologies.
- Successfully develop and execute transformational and financial strategies to improve market competitiveness.
- Understand the future of the coding industry and develop new products and services to better support clients and ensure smooth delivery of innovative solutions.
- Responsible for financial & operational management related to expansion and/or consolidation, information systems, and other technology needs to support business needs.
- Proven experience in leading a large, complex professional fee/physician coding team (at least 200+) through transformation while developing and maintaining relationships (internal & external) that ensure service offerings meet objectives which includes effective and timely delivery of solutions
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or equivalent professional certification with 10+ years of operational coding experience specifically in ambulatory physician/professional fee organizations or medical practices
- 5+ years of progressive coding leadership at large ambulatory organizations or medical practices with a proven track record of meeting/exceeding performance metrics while monitoring and applying current coding industry trends, innovations, standards, and regulations
- Demonstrated experience in the application of critical thinking skills to solve complex issues or situations
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource deployment, and strategic planning
- Excellent presentation, verbal, and written communication skills, including effective reporting and analysis of operations, issues, and performance
- Strong experience working with offshore coding teams
- BA in Health Care Administration or advanced business degree
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis with previous experience partnering with human resources, information technology, and legal.
- Demonstrated experience as a team leader; leading teams to generate a vision, establish direction and motivate members to achieve established goals.
- Excellent people and influencing skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team and navigate enterprise politics and matrixed relationships.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to Change Healthcare’s Vision and Values
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- General office demands
- This position requires 0-30% overnight, national travel, for offsite client meetings, conferences, and training sessions.
- Employees in roles that require travel will need to be able to qualify for a company credit card or be able to use their own personal credit card for travel expenses and submit for reimbursement.
- Flexible work environments
- Ready, Set, Grow Career Development Center & access to Change Healthcare University for continuous professional learning & development with more than 5,000 training assets
- Volunteer days, employee giving and matching gifts programs, community awards and dollars for doers, community partnerships
- Employee wellbeing programs and generous health plans
- Educational assistance programs
- US 401(k) or Group RRSP (Canada) savings plans with matching employer contributions
- Be sure to ask our Talent Advisors for more information on location specific benefits and paid time off policies
- Learn more at https://careers.changehealthcare.com
- *Eligibility for some benefits may be limited or not available for part-time employees, be sure to speak with your Talent Advisor.
Feeling Inspired? Ready to #MakeAChange? Apply today!
New York and New Jersey Residents Only: The salary range for New York City, NY and Westchester County, NY is $114,800– $171,120. The salary range for Ithaca, NY is $99,200– $148,800. The salary range for Jersey City, NJ is $119,040-$178,560. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Change Healthcare offers benefits such as a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with Change Healthcare, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
California / Colorado / New Jersey / New York / Rhode Island / Washington Residents Only:
The applicable base pay for your state is listed below. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Change Healthcare offers benefits such as a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with Change Healthcare, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
•At Change Healthcare, we include all. We celebrate diversity and inclusivity, respect each other and value our unique experiences. By being our authentic selves, we bring different perspectives into our work and relationships.
•Business Resource Groups (BRGs) play a central role in advancing diversity and inclusion at Change Healthcare. They deepen our understanding of different cultures, people, and experiences, and help foster an inclusive workplace. Change offers eight (8) BRGs. Learn more at https://careers.changehealthcare.com/diversity
Feeling Inspired? Ready to #MakeAChange? Apply today!
COVID Vaccination Requirements
We remain committed to doing our part to ensure the health, safety and well-being of our team members and our communities. As such, some individuals may be required to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to or during employment. Certain roles may require COVID-19 vaccination and/or testing as a condition of employment. Change Healthcare adheres to COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
California (US) Residents: By submitting an application to Change Healthcare for consideration of any employment opportunity, you acknowledge that you have read and understood Change Healthcare’s Privacy Notice to California Job Applicants Regarding the Collection of Personal Information.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Jobs For You
You currently do not have any saved jobs.
Talent Acquisition Process
Once you apply for a job opening, the Sourcing Specialist or Talent Advisor will review your resume ensuring your background matches the minimum job requirements. Selected candidates will be invited for a phone screen.
Steps will vary by team, but typically include: Talent Advisor phone screen, hiring manager interview, and a combination of technical screens and panel interviews.
If you're selected, you can expect the Talent Advisor to reach out with specific offer details. During this stage you will be provided with an electronic offer letter and other new hire documents.
Once you've electronically signed your offer, our onboarding team will get you ready for Week 1 and set you up for success! Onboarding tasks may include a background check, drug screening, and other job specific requirements.
Join Our Talent Community
Receive job alerts and stay up to date with ways that Change Healthcare is transforming the healthcare industry, one innovation at a time.