Senior Manager, Software Engineering
Change Healthcare occupies a uniquely interconnected position at the center of healthcare. We believe it is our responsibility to test, adopt, and refine new technologies to help create a more efficient healthcare system. As healthcare technology leaders, we are passionate about building enterprise-class solutions using the latest cloud technologies and current development best practices. We have a bias for action with a broad mandate to innovate and provide world class healthcare solutions.
- Level: Experienced
- Travel: Local
What makes a successful Software Engineer at Change Healthcare?
Check out the traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
- Quick learner
“I love working at Change Healthcare! I get to work with incredibly intelligent people who always share their knowledge and help me improve my skills, I work with cutting edge cloud technology, and I get the satisfaction of knowing that the work I am doing is directly helping to improve the US healthcare system. Change Healthcare is a fantastic company that encourages personal growth and has provided plenty of opportunities to advance my career.” Derek Kruger
“When I think about working at Change Healthcare, I think about some of the most fruitful experiences of my career. At every turn, the company has encouraged and pursued innovation all while bolstering up and supporting me as an individual contributor. There a ton of hurdles in the healthcare industry and I have full confidence that Change Healthcare will be one of those companies who can solve them. I am glad to be a part of this journey.” Jacob Smith
Cloud Software Engineer
“I savor every day working at Change Healthcare. With a strong cloud-first mantra and push for true DevOps from senior leadership, the work and processes are under constant pressure to improve. Not only do I work with many dedicated, interesting, and smart people, I know my work helps improve healthcare and medical processes for the entire country.” Leeland Artra
“I am very thankful for the growth and development opportunities given to me every day at Change Healthcare. Knowing that the meaningful work I am a part of changes lives encourages me daily. The culture to develop and nurture excellence continues to inspire me to become a better engineer and professional.” Rachael Babcock
Cloud Software Engineer
“What I love most about my job is that I have the opportunity to work on a variety of technical problems that push me to improve my technical and problem solving skills. Being part of the data engineering team, I always have freedom to work on cutting edge technologies alongside a motivated team.” Sandeep Datla
Software Engineer IV
There are numerous career paths and opportunities for growth at Change Healthcare. Below is an example of the trajectory you could have in your careers as a Software Engineer.
Our Total Rewards
Our Total Rewards strategy consists of a portfolio of offerings: compensation, recognition, well-being and benefits, that are aligned with our talent management strategy, enabling us to attract, develop, engage, reward, and retain employees. Our engaged workforce enables a high performing culture.
Paying for Performance
Rewards and Recognition
Paid Time Off
Volunteer Days and
Alpharetta, Georgia - Additional locations
Transforming the future of healthcare isn’t something we take lightly. It takes teams of the best and the brightest, working together to make an impact.
As one of the largest healthcare technology companies in the U.S., we are a catalyst to accelerate the journey toward improved lives and healthier communities.
Here at Change Healthcare, we’re using our influence to drive positive changes across the industry, and we want motivated and passionate people like you to help us continue to bring new and innovative ideas to life.
If you’re ready to embrace your passion and do what you love with a company that’s committed to supporting your future, then you belong at Change Healthcare.
Pursue purpose. Champion innovation. Earn trust. Be agile. Include all.
Empower Your Future. Make a Difference.
Overview of Position
This position oversees the analysis, design, programming, debugging, and modification of computer programs for commercial or end user applications, such as materials management, financial management, HRIS, mobile apps or personal applications products (e.g., spreadsheets, tax packages, personal finance programs).
What will be my duties and responsibilities in this job?
- Directs the activities of a software applications development function for software application enhancements and new products including cloud-based or internet-related computer programs.
- Analyzes and investigates applications engineering tasks and prepares design specifications, analysis, and recommendations. Interacts with project managers, marketing, sales, and users to define application requirements and/or necessary modifications.
- May also have responsibility for testing and documentation.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel ensuring the efficient operation of the function.
- Establishes operational objectives and work plans and delegates assignments to subordinates.
- Senior management reviews objectives to determine success of operation.
- Involved in developing, modifying and executing company policies that affect immediate operations and may also have company-wide effect.
- Works on issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of organizational objectives.
- Implements strategic policies when selecting methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Establishes and assures adherence to budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements.
- Manages activities of two or more sections or departments.
- Exercises supervision in terms of costs, methods, and staffing. In some instances this manager may have subordinate supervisors.
- Regularly interacts with senior management or executive levels on matters concerning several functional areas, divisions, and/or customers.
- Hire, mentor, and coach a team of engineers at different levels, grow and develop the next generation of software engineering leads
- Develop cross-functional relationships across business and technical leads, architects, and production owners to ensure alignment with business goals and enterprise-level architectural standards
- Analyze technical and business requirements to Architect, design, implement, and deliver solutions in an agile environment.
- Working with project team to understand migration requirements and needs.
- Strategize and plan a project, including moving customers and data conversion as necessary, while considering risks and potential impacts
- Collaborate with our DevOps team to design, develop, and maintain CI/CD processes for frequent and efficient releases
- Drive a cloud first culture for new products and assist with creating a cloud migration strategy by working with our Cloud Services team on design, migration planning, and operational readiness
- Work with management on capacity objectives to satisfy new growth and cost optimization in cloud
- Be a promoter and leader for agile/lean engineering principles while being pragmatic with regards to each project’s unique challenges.Clearly communicate status, open issues, and solutions to team and stakeholders and work closely with other engineering teams to reuse and understand existing frameworks.
- Assist with preparing time estimates, sprint & project plans, resource plans, and status reports
- Ensure testing protocols are followed and help transition the team towards a DevOps Test Driven Development culture and direct the implementation of long-term support solutions.
- Develop program specifications and flowcharts as needed, develop and maintain clear and succinct documentation.
- Foster a data driven, self-sustaining culture of ownership, continual learning and improvement.
What are the requirements needed for this position?
- 8+ years experience managing online portals / web based applications with at least one year of management responsibility leading development teams in a distributed and global setup, including management of both internal and outsourced development teams.
- 5+ years experience working in a fast-paced environment leveraging agile/SAFe development framework
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Requires the ability to change the thinking of, or gain acceptance from, others in sensitive situations, without damage to the relationship.
- Preferred: Broad knowledge of the field with proven leadership skills. Resolves issues and contributes to unit/area development.
- Cloud platform experience; prefer experience with AWS
- Exceptional (verbal and written) communication and organizational skills
- Experience writing client side web code utilizing React, Ember, Vue or similar. (We use React and Angular for our web app).
- Experience with developing or integrating RESTful APIs
- Experience in healthcare claims operations and other revenue cycle transactions such as ClaimStatus, Remittance, Eligibility, Authorization, and electronic attachments a plus
- Java stack experience, including Spring Boot, Dropwizard, and Hadoop echo system
What are the working conditions and physical requirements of this job?
General office demands
Join our team today where we are creating a better coordinated, increasingly collaborative, and more efficient healthcare system!
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement
Change Healthcare is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, or veteran status. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, read EEO is the Law at https://www.eeoc.gov/employers/eeo-law-poster and the supplemental information at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/OFCCP_EEO_Supplement_Final_JRF_QA_508c.pdf.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your application for employment, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Applicant requesting reasonable accommodation" as the subject. Resumes or CVs submitted to this email box will not be accepted.
Click here https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf to view our pay transparency nondiscrimination policy.
Change Healthcare maintains a drug free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug-testing, where applicable, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
Don't see the role you're looking for or not ready to apply yet?
Sign-up to get the latest opportunities at Change Healthcare.